Why does METF need your support?
The quality of graduates and diplomates staffing our industry is under threat, for the following reasons:
• Depletion of available academic staff either to industry or overseas universities.
• Decreased state funding to tertiary institutions offering minerals-related education.
• Academic quality of students entering the field is no longer being maintained.
• Drop in real value of industry support. As many industry partners as possible should be
drawn in to maintain the pool of funds supporting institutions.
• The industry needs to address staff development locally, because of national Skills
Development and Employment Equity imperatives.
Unless industry acts jointly to counter these threats, suitably qualified staff will not be available to the South African minerals industry in the future.